Monday, December 16, 2013

In a World of Insatiable Desires, God is #Enough

Last week we finished up the book A Confident Heart by Renee Swope in the Proverbs 31 Online Bible Study.  One of the discussion topics last week was "Is God Enough?"

This question, "Is God Enough" is one I have had to ask myself often this year.

In a world where more is better, it is a question that lingers and desperately awaits a response.

Earlier this year, my husband and I went on a amazing getaway vacation to Cabo, Mexico for our 15 year wedding anniversary.  Breathtakingly beautiful.  The view from our room consisted of nightly sunsets disappearing behind a mountain that towered over the ocean below.  The sound of waves crashing against the rocks along the beach accompanied the picturesque scene.



As we were preparing to leave this marvel of God's creation, I could not get enough.  We ate dinner where we could see the sunset, we woke up early to run down to the beach to see the sunrise, we sat by the pool where we could overlook the ocean in all its splendor.  I could not get enough!

Often, we live our lives like those few days at the beach.  We try to cram in every ounce of our longings.  However, no matter how much we take in, it will never be enough.

We shop and buy and eat and "friend" people, but it is never enough.  People like our posts and pages, but we still want more.  We live in "the i-phone you bought last month is outdated, you need another one" type of world!

I am the same way.  I want more friends.  I want you to "like" my page.  I want a new pair of black shoes when I already have at least 5 in my closet!

My daughter loves to spend time with me (which I am grateful for), but if I were to spend 24 hours a day with her, she still would desire one more hour.

Even good things like sunsets and spending time with loved ones cannot fill a void in us that desires more.

God alone can fill the void.  When we get to the point where He is truly #Enough, the other things of this world just become icing on the cake instead of a desire that can never satisfy.

Is God #Enough?  He has to be.  We live in a broken world that will not be fixed until Jesus returns in all His glory.

Love ones pass.  Friends "defriend".  People disappoint. Vacations end.  Sunsets set.

The good news is that the sun comes up new every morning and the Son of God rides on the clouds on our behalf.  He alone brings us joy, peace and love.  He alone brings beauty into our lives that outdoes the most glorious sunset!  He alone fills our hearts to overflowing with gladness and thanksgiving!  He is my joy.  He is my peace.  He is my comfort.  He is my all in all.  He is #Enough.

If there is a void in your live today, if you are feeling empty or have been trying to fill a hole with the insatiable desires of this world, I would like to invite you to pray with me today...

Dear Lord,  we ask You to fill us completely with You.  We ask for You to be our all in all.  Satisfy the deepest longings of our hearts with You.  You alone give us the Living Water we need to quench our thirst.  Pour Your Living Water into us filling in every hole in us.  We need you.  You are our #Enough.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.  

Power Verse:

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.” Isaiah 40:8

“He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” John 7:38

“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."  John 10:10









1 comment:

  1. Sue, I need these words so badly. I'm a "grass is greener" girl, unfortunately. I'm always wanting more. I have to remember that God is always enough. Nothing will ever fill me. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I heart your comments!